Welcome to the Bureau of Rail and Transit!
The Bureau of Rail and Transit manages state-owned railroad properties, provides rail safety inspections, and manages public transportation, bicycle and pedestrian transportation, and ridesharing programs.
Michelle "Shelley" Winters
Administrator, Rail and Transit
The Bureau of Rail & Transit is comprised of the following three sections. Please click on a link below for section-specific info:
Railroads: The railroad programs include track inspection and safety investigation in cooperation with the Federal Railroad Administration, a revolving loan program for railroads, a dedicated railroad fund for improvements to state-owned rail lines, and acquisition and preservation of railroad corridors for future use. The Department completed work on an updated State Rail Plan in June 2012.
Recent or current rail-related projects include are listed below:
- Northeast Passenger Rail Summit presentation(held on 10/19/15)
- Mountain Division & Conway Branch Railroad Line: RFP and RFI information
- NH Capitol Corridor: project website is temporarily unavailable, but the Final Report is still available.
- The project includee a study of potential rail and bus transit investments in the NH Capitol Corridor, which connects the major population centers of New Hampshire to metropolitan Boston, and the development of a service development plan and related documents for intercity passenger rail between Boston, MA and Concord, NH. This study took a mutlimodal, systems-wide approach in the development of a menu of alternatives that were provided for review and consideration for the public and policymakers.
- The New Hampshire Department of Transportation continues to work closely the New Hampshire Rail Transit Authority on passenger rail issues in New Hampshire.
- Plaistow Commuter Rail Extension Study
- 2015 Class III and Cog Railroad Revolving Loan Funds
Public Transportation: The public transportation program includes federal grants for transit operations, capital improvements, planning, technical assistance and training.
FTA GRANT & FUNDING INFO for State of NH Fiscal Year 2017 (including applications & other pertinent documents for SFY17 and prior years)
- Sign up now fot the Tri-State Transit Conference to be held September 7-9, 2016 in beautiful Woodstock, VT!
- List of Transit Services in NH w/ contact info & map
- Please note, the last day of Portsmouth-Manchester (East West Express) service was July 15, 2016
- In December 2015, President Obama signed into law the Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act. Follow this link for FTA-related fact sheets: FAST Act fact sheets
Bicycle and Pedestrian: This program assists individuals, communities and groups to improve opportunities for non-motorized travel.
State Bicycle Maps are available.
Bureau Projects: Information on recent & noteworthy projects