Front Sheet Detail
Front Sheet Border
Creating the Construction, Shoreland and Wetlands Front Sheets
Before You Begin
- Note that the statewide basemap referenced below is only available to NHDOT users.
- Create/use a folder in the Prj directory called FrontSheets.
- Create a front sheet dgn called prjctFSR.dgn in the FrontSheets folder. Note that "prjct" should be replaced with the project number in all file names referenced on this page. Use correct seed file and project interface. 2D files are recommended.
- Create a location map dgn called prjctLOC.dgn in the FrontSheets folder. Use correct seed file and project interface.
- Create/use a FSD (Front Sheet Detail) model in the prjctMSTR.dgn in the CutSheet folder. Use correct seed file and project interface.
- Open the prjctLOC.dgn file. Hit on Task Attach All and
go to step 2; or
- Attach prjctALI.dgn as a reference file (No Nesting) and Fit View (if this is a 3d file, Expand Clipping Planes box should be checked on in the Fit View command window). This will bring up the "base map" in the vicinity of the job.
- Locate a source of large-scale roadway data for the location map.
- Attach/Import the LOC.csv Level Library.
- Select Location Map Outline from the LOC Task list and place the LOCMAP cell on the state map in the area of the project. Zooming out a little may be required to place the cell (scale 1:48000).
- Detach prjctALI.dgn.
- Select Place Block and place a "box", snapping to the inside square of the LOCMAP cell.
- Delete LOCMAP cell, leaving the Box.
- Select Place Fence with Fence Type - Block, Mode - Clip. Snap to the corners of the block just placed.
- Select Manipulate Fence Contents (in the Fence toolbox) with Operation - Copy, Fence Mode - Clip. Choose a corner of the block for the Origin and snap to the same point for the Distance. Reset to quit out of the command.
- Detach All.dgn.
- Use the LOC Tasks to place North Arrow, Interstate, US or NH route sign cells as appropriate.
- Use tasks to label rivers, roads, and other features.
- Save Settings and Save this DGN and exit.
- Open the prjctMSTR.dgn file, FSD - Front Sheet Detail model. Attach the files needed to show the project detail on the front sheet by using the NHREF macro on the NHDOT dropdown menu. Turn levels on/off as necessary.
- Save Settings, Save and Exit.
Creating this model allows additional dgns to be added to the Front Sheet Detail without the concern of origin point, rotation or scale.
- Open prjctFSR.dgn and import the FSH.csv level library.
- If a 3D file is used, then set the "z" elevation to "0" (Key-In window type - "AZ=0" and click in the view).
- Attach prjctMSTR.dgn model FSD - Front Sheet Detail as reference file. Choose Nested Attachments : Live Nesting, Depth : 1 Display Overrides; Never. Fit View.
- Double click on the prjctMSTR.dgn in the References dialog box. Change Scale (Master:Ref) 1.000 : 1.000 to 1.000 : 2400.000 (Imperial) [or 1.000 : 2500.000 (metric)] as an example/a starting point. Fit View. 2400 equates to a 1"=200' scale for the detail and is a good starting point for most projects; use what fits your project best. Rotate view to orient for best placement in border.
- From the FSH Tasks, select Front Sheet Cells - Border (FSBDR) and place
around the project detail (scale 1). Fit View.
Decide weather the scale is appropriate. If not Delete the border, Re-Scale prjctMSTR.dgn (by
double clicking on file in References) and Move References and/or Rotate
References to position appropriately. Replot the FSBDR around the
If using a 3D file, extra care should be taken when rotating the view, only change the "Z" value (ex. x=0, y=0, z=90). The use of Undo may help when attempting to establish detail rotation - Rotate, if not correct, Undo and re-Rotate. Be sure to note the final rotation of the project detail in order to properly rotate the DOTNTH arrow cell. The rotation can be read from the References dialog box.
- Using the FSH tasks, place the following cells needed for the front
FSTXT [Front Sheet Text]
DOTNTH [NHDOT North Arrow] (use same rotation as the detail)
LOCMAP [Location Map Outline]
LMSCI or LMSCM [Location Map Scale - Imperial or Metric]
LOCCIR [Location Map Detail Circle with Project Number]
Notice by placing the location map LOCMAP first, using accudraw the location map scale LMSCI/LMSCM can easily be centered underneath the map.
- The FSD may need to be clipped. Use Task - Clipping Boundary to create a shape in the non-plotting level. In References, select prjctMSTR.dgn. Choose Tools > Clip Boundary and accept by clicking on the screen (everything will highlight - do not be alarmed!).
- Attach the prjctLOC.dgn as a reference file to add the location map detail. Change the Scale (Master:Ref) 1.00 : 1.00 to 1.00 : 48,000 (Imperial) [or 1.00 : 50,000 (metric)]. Fit View.
- Move the prjctLOC.dgn into the LOCDET cell (References > Tools > Move).
- Hit on Copy FSD Detail Task; this runs a VBA program which copies and scales Ticks, Major Stations, ROW and Construction Limits, To Town notes, Road and River Names into your front sheet. Move and Rotate notes to your view and realign the leaders using the modify tool.
- Add Right-of-Way Front Sheet Notes.
- Edit the FSTXT cell with Edit Text (using
word processor mode).
The variables (anything with a “$” in the text) will plot accurately using the NHDOT pen table that “reads” the project’s .pcf file. To view these variables correctly, zoom into the area, open the Plot dialog box and select Preview Refresh. If they do not view correctly, the pcf file probably needs to be edited. See an applications engineer for assistance.
- Issue the Save Settings command to save the view, save the design file and exit.
- Extraneous detail may need to be shut off in the prjctMSTR.dgn. If so, you should open that file make the changes, save settings and save. Re-open the front sheet at that point. Do not make changes to the FSD model while your front sheet is open as the connection to the MSTR may be severed.
- with the prjctMSTR.dgn, FSD model open, Use Level display.
- Right click in the Level Area and select Off By Element.
- Hit on the elements you want to shut off in the display.
- Save Settings and Save.
- For text sizes on the Front Sheet use the appropriate Tasks; also see sample Front Sheet (see Eric Milliken for a "tentative sample" - still waiting approval).
- Understand that when using filters the active level cannot be shut off. Switch the active level to the Default level prior to using the filters.
- In Microsoft Explorer, copy and rename this dgn to prjctFSW.dgn and prjctFSC.dgn.
- Open prjctFSW.dgn. Modify the level display to show the appropriate features for the wetland front sheet.
- Edit sheet index, design data, and use Tasks to add additional items.
- Repeat for prjctFSC.dgn except use RF8FSC.rf8, and for prjctFSS use RF8FSS.rf8.
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
PO Box 483 | 7 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH | 03302-0483
Tel: 603.271.3734 | Fax: 603.271.3914