- Government Benefit Programs
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income) Pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits. www.ssa.gov/pgm/links_ssi.htm or www.ssa.gov/pubs/11011.html or www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html for children. Find local SSA office https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp or call 1/800-772-1213.
- SSDI (Social Security disability insurance) Pays benefits to you and certain family members if you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. Your adult child also may qualify for benefits on your earnings record if he or she has a disability that started before age 22. www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html Find local SSA office https://secure.ssa.gov/apps6z/FOLO/fo001.jsp
Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant). The different parts of Medicare help cover specific services if you meet certain conditions. Medicare has the following parts:
- Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance): Helps cover inpatient care in hospitals, Helps cover skilled nursing facility, hospice, and home health care
- Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance): Helps cover doctors’ services and outpatient care, Helps cover some preventive services to help maintain your health and to keep certain illnesses from getting worse
- Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans) (like an HMO or PPO): A health coverage choice run by private companies approved by Medicare, Includes Part A, Part B, and usually other coverage including prescription drugs.
- Medicare Part D (Prescription Drug Coverage): Helps cover the cost of prescription drugs, May help lower your prescription drug costs and help protect against higher costs in the future. See below.
Get a free book on Medicare at www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/10050.pdf.
State Offices http://www.cms.gov/apps/contacts/
Helpful Contacts page http://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/
Contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for Medicare enrollment and eligibility
Medicare Service Center: 1-800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227) ; 877-486-2048 TTY
Report Medicare Fraud & Abuse: 800-HHS-TIPS (1-800-447-8477)
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.