New Hampshire Board of Dental Examiners - an official New Hampshire Government Web site
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How does a dental hygienist obtain a local anesthesia permit?
    Send a written request with a $25 check made payable to Treasurer - State of NH, along with proof of course completion. If the course was taken out of state, a course syllabus is required.
back to top
  • How do I obtain a Verification (or Letter) of Good Standing?
    Send written request with a $25 check made payable to "Treasurer, State of NH".
back to top
  • If a dental applicant is educated outside of the United States, what is the education requirement?
    Den 301.02(j) 1-3. – Applicants must be graduates of a Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredited general dentistry program of at least 2 years duration that awards a DMD or DDS degree.
back to top
  • How long do dentists have to keep dental records?
    RSA 317-A:27-a Dental Records – A dentist shall maintain patients' paper, electronic, and radiographic records for at least 7 years from the time the dentists or dental hygienist last treated the patient. In the case of a minor patient, a dentist shall maintain a patient's paper, electronic, and radiographic dental records for at least 7 years past the age of majority.
back to top
  • I have moved. As a licensee, how long do I have to notify the Board of my change of address?
    RSA 317-A:13 III. All persons licensed to practice dentistry or dental hygiene in this state shall notify the board in writing within 10 days of any change of business or residential address which may occur during the period between biennial registrations.
back to top
back to top
  • What are the requirements for obtaining/providing dental records?
    • Chapter 332-I
    • Den 501.01(e) – Upon request of a patient, dentists shall provide a copy of the patient's records within 20 days for a nominal fee not to exceed $15 for up to 30 pages and $0.50 per page thereafter, pursuant to RSA 332-I. Radiographs and models shall be provided at a reasonable cost. This obligation shall exist whether or not the patient's account is paid in full or whether the patient has paid for his or her records.
    • ADA Code of Ethics
      1.B.1. FURNISHING COPIES OF RECORDS. A dentist has the ethical obligation on request of either the patient or the patient's new dentist to furnish in accordance with applicable law, either gratuitously or for nominal cost, such dental records or copies or summaries of them, including dental x-rays or copies of them, as will be beneficial for the future treatment of that patient.This obligation exists whether or not the patient's account is paid in full.
back to top
  • What do I need to do to change my license from inactive to active?
    A request to activate an inactive license must be made in writing. The following information is required. Are you:
    Practicing Requirements
    1. Yes – in another state Pay the difference in fee between active and inactive, continuing education units (CEUs)*, a copy of current BLS-HCP certification, and letters of good standing from any state the applicant has held a license.
    2. No – < 3 years Same as above, but current CEUs* equivalent to 20 hours per year for dentists and 10 hours per year for hygienists.
    3. No – > 3 years, < 5 years Same as #1 above and personalized clinical refresher course.
    4. Over 5 years Same as in #1 above plus refresher course and NERB.
    * CEU's must include 2 hours in infection control.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Board of Dental Examiners
121 South Fruit Street, Suite 302 | Concord, NH 03301-2412
Telephone: (603) 271-4561 | Fax: (603) 271-6702